Word Problems/Math

The angle of elevation of the top of a tower is 27 degrees from point A due east of it. The angle of elevation of the top of the tower is 11 degrees from another point B due south of the tower. Find the height of the tower if the distance AB is 40m.

Divide the base in half by putting a perpendicular line in the center.

Let the length of one base to the bottom of this line be x.
This makes the length of the other base be 40-x.

Let the height be y.

The equations known are tan(27 degrees) = y/x and tan(11 degrees) = y/(40-x).

These two can both be solved for y, giving
y = x * tan(27 degrees) and y = (40-x) * tan(11 degrees).

These two equation can be set equal to each other, x can then be solved for,
and then y can be found.  I would use one equation to find a value for y
and then use the other equation to make sure it checks.  

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.