Word Problems/Compound Proportion

How is the answer to this question determined?

Four carpenters can build eight houses in ten days. Two carpenters can build how may houses in 15 days?

I thank you for your reply!

ANSWER: 4 carpenters can build 8 houses in 10 days.

Since we are replacing 4 carpenters by 2 carpenters, we need to multiply by 2/4.
It can be seen the 2/4 is 1/2, and 8 house times 1/2 is 4 houses.

Since the problem has 10 days and the question has 15 days,
we than need to multiply by 15/10, which is the same as 3/2.
Thus, 4 * 3/2 = 6, so these 2 carpenters should be able to build 6 houses in 15 days.

I want to thank you for your reply.  

If I reduce the number of carpenters to 1 carpenter from 4 carpenters can build 8 houses in 10 days, I think I answer is 1 carpenter builds 2 houses in 1.5 days.

If I multiply 1 carpenter by 2, I get 2 carpenters.  If I multiply 2 houses by 2, I get 4 houses. So 2 carpenters build 4 houses in 1.5 days. (I think.)
If these two carpenters work for ten days, that is 10 days/1.5 days.  I do not know what to do next.  

What do I need to think about to get the answer 6 houses?

I thank you for your reply.

If the 4 carpenters were split up into individuals over the 10 day period,
that would mean each one can build 2 houses in 10 days since 4 * 2 = 8.

We are given 4 carpenters can build 8 houses in 10 days.
That means a carpenter can build 2 houses in 10 days.

If the number of carpenters was reduced from 4 to only 1, that would manes only 1/4 of the labor would be done.  This would mean that it would take 1 carpenter 4 times as long.

If there are only 2 carpenters instead of 4, we would get 4/2 = 2,
If we needed to get the same amount done, it would require twice as long.

As was stated at the start, it takes 1 person a total of 40 hours to do the house.
If the number of employees is increased, divide 40 hours by the number of employees
that are there.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.