Word Problems/Maths Problem Sum

Dear Sir, Please help this problem sum,

Amanda, Brinda and Dayang share 9z packets of beads. Amanda gets z packets more than Brinda. Dayang gets 6 packets more than Brinda.
(a) how many packets does Brinda get in terms of z?
(b) if amanda gets 3 packets more than brinda, how many packets does brinda get?

The total number of beads looks to be 9z.
Brenda gets x beads, Amanda get x+z beads, and Dayang gets x+6 beads.

Since they get all 9z beads, this means that x + x+z  + x+6 = 9z.
That reduces to 3x + 6 = 8z.

This can be changed to x = (8z-6)/3, and that's how many beads Brinda gets,
so this is the answer to (a).

To answer (b), it can be said that x+z = x+3, so subtracting x from both sides gives z = 3.

If we took z=3, then we'd get x=6.

This is how many packets Brinda got, so that's the answer to (b).  

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.