Word Problems/Percentages

I read the following in a business mathematics book: "Multiply the number by 1, expressed as 100/100, to change the number to a fraction with the denominator 100."

Why would the author want to indicate multiplying by 1 expressed as 100/100 to change a number into a percentage?

Multiplying by 1 will not change the value of the number. Why is this important to know when changing a number to a percentage?

I know how to change a number to a percentage; so do not explain to me how this process is done!

I thank you for your reply.

This is a little confusing.  A percent is the amount out of 100.
In other words, if you have 1 bad and 3 good, that is 1 bad out of 4.
In decimals, that is 0.25.  As a percent, it is 25%.

If there are 3 bad parts in 10 parts, that is 3/10 = 0.3.  To convert to a percent, always make sure there are at least two digits in the number past the decimal.  Since 0.3 only has 1 digit past the decimal, we'll make it be 0.30.  To convert to a percent, just shift the decimal by two places.  Thus, 0.30 = 30%.

Using this, it can be seen that 0.01 = 1%, 0.13 = 13%, 0.456 = 45.6%, 1.2345 = 123.45%,
1/4 = 0.25 = 25%, 2/5 = 0.4 =0.40 = 40%, etc.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.