Word Problems/50:1 Fuel To Oil Ratio

A combustion engine uses a fuel mixture of gasoline to oil in a ratio of 50:1.  How is the correct amount of gas and oil determined to use in the engine?

I thank you for your reply.

If the ratio is 50 to 1, that means for every 50 units of gasoline, there needs to be 1 unit of oil.
In other words, whatever units the oil is measured in, the engine needs 50 times as much gas.

Another way of doing it is putting in a bunch a gas and dividing the amount input by 50.  That is, if it take 10 gallons of gas, divide 10 by 50 and get 1/5.  That would mean it would need 1/5 gallon of oil (1/5 of a gallon is 4/5 of a quart).

Perhaps it would be better to say if it took 50 gallons of gas, it would take 1 gallon of oil.  Since there are 4 quarts in a gallon, and oil is usually measured in quarts, it could also be said that if it takes 12.5 gallons of gas, it takes 1 quart of oil.

Actually, oil is most likely in pints, so for every pint of oil, there should be 50 pints of gasoline.
Since there are 8 pints in a gallon, that would be 50/8 gallons of gasoline.  When the division is carried out, that works out to 6 1/4 gallons of gasoline.  That is the same as 6.25 gallons of gasoline or 6 gallons and a quart more.

In summary, that is a ratio of 1 unit oil to 50 units of gasoline.
That can be translated into:
 0.2 gallons of oil to 10 gallons of gas,
 1 gallon of oil to 50 gallons of gas,
 1 quart of oil to 6.25 gallons of gas (6 gallons of gas and a quart of gas), or
 1 pint of oil to 3.125 gallons of gas (3 gallons of gas and a pint of gas).

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.