Word Problems/Scale

Can you explain mathematically how the following scales become inches to feet?
For example, how does N scale of 1:160 become 1/16" = 1'?

In N scale, (1:160) (1/16" = 1 foot)
In HO scale, (1:87) (1/8" = 1 foot)

I saw more of these different scale examples at the following:

I thank you for your reply!

ANSWER: 1 foot = 304.8 mm
The 304.8 is technically an approximation, but as the next 10 decimal digits are 0, it's extremely close!

In HO scale, 3.5 mm represents 1 foot.
3.5:304.8 ≅ 1:87.1

In N gauge, 9 mm represents 4 feet 8.5 inches, or 56.5 inches = 1435.1 mm
9:1435.1 ≅ 1:160

I have no idea why they used an odd quantity like 4 feet 8.5 inches. To complicate things, N scale is not consistent. It varies from 1:148 to 1:160.

I want to thank you for your reply.

I'm still confused.

By using feet and inches, how does a scale of 1:160 become 1/16" = 1'?  Can you indicate using a calculation how this is converted?

I thank you for your follow-up reply.

I'm GUESSING that the numbers are rounded.

12 real-in (1 model-in)/(160 real-in) = 3/40 model-in
However, rulers aren't marked in 40ths of an inch. An Imperial rulers is typically marked to show inches, half inches, quarter inches, eighth, and sixteenth inches.
3/40 model-in rounded to the nearest 16th is 1/16 model-inch.  

Word Problems

Janet Yang

Word problems are my favorite type of math questions! I would not feel comfortable answering questions that require specialized knowledge (Physics, Statistics, etc.) because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Master of Business Administration degree from The Wharton School.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.