Word Problems/Decimal figures (in letters)

Question
Hi Janet,

I need to know how to write numbers such as 1.0608 percent and 12.44 percent. Is it "one point six hundred and eight ten thousandth percent"? What about the second one? "Twelve point forty four percent" or "twelve point forty four hundredth percent"?

These are to be written in a legal document, so I need the formal expression of the figure (and not "zero-six-zero-eight"). The first figure is the percentage owners have to pay of common expenses in a building; the second figure is the interest rate for delayed payments.

I hope you can help me. I don't know if this is the right expert category!

Thanks a lot!

Patricia

Answer
Here is how they are spoken:
 1.0608% is "one and six hundred eight ten-thousandths percent"
 12.44% is "twelve and forty-four hundredths percent"
The decimal point becomes "and."

Note, however, that legal documents may follow a different convention. I suggest you look for examples in similar legal documents.

Word Problems

Janet Yang