Word Problems/Unit Rate Calculation

6 workers can finish a job in 10 hours, 12 workers can finish the same job in how many hours?

Can you use the following to determine the answer?  I provided a calculation, but I do not know that it is correct.

1 worker does 1/6 of the job in 10 hours.
1/6 job/(10 hours) = 1/6 divided by 10 job/hour = 1/60 job/hour
1 worker does 1/60 of the job per hour.

Would 12 workers be divided by 1/60 of the job per hour?

12 workers divided by 1/60 job/hour. (?)

The calculation needs "worker" as in 12 workers divided by 1/60 job/hour per worker so that "worker" cancels from the calculation.

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: You have determined that each worker can do 1/60 of a job in an hour.

Multiplying this by 12 workers give 1/5 of a job per hour.

The means to complete the whole job take 5 hours, so 5 * 1/5 = 1 job.

I want to thank you for the reply.  

How do the "worker" units cancel from the calculation  or do they not cancel?

I thank you for your answer.

If a worker makes $7 / hour, and you have 4 workers, the price is really 7$ / (hour * worker).
That way when the $7 is multiplied by the number of workers, the hourly wage for all the workers of the same type is found.

Since the units calculated here are in dollars / hour, when multiplying by the number of hours, a dollar value is gotten.

Units in problems are important and it is valuable to put them in the right spot.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.