Word Problems/Units Cancellation

How is the following expressed mathematically?

An investor owns 30 shares of stock for 3 years. During this time he receives quarterly dividends of $0.60 per share.

Do all of the units cancel except the dollar units?

Is the following correct?

30 shares/quarter X $0.60/share X 3 years X 4 quarters/year = $216.00

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: I would take that as (30 shares)(($0.60/quarter)/shares))(3 years)(4 quarters/year).

Now ($0.60/quarter)/shares is really ($0.60/quarter)/(shares/1).
It is known that (a/b)/(c/d) is (ad)/(bc), so that becomes $0.60/(quarters*shares).

Using this, it can be seen that we get shares/shares, years/years, and quarters/quarters.
The only thing left is $, and that is what is being looked for.
Putting the units together gives us 30 * 0.60 * 3 * 4 = 18 * 12 = 216.
Out only unit was $, so it is $216.

I want to thank you for the reply.

I am confused by all of the parentheses that you used.

Is there a different way to explain (30 shares)(($0.60/quarter)/shares))(3 years)(4 quarters/year)?  I know that the / marks indicate a fraction
but (  )((   ) is confusing to me.

I thank you for your clarification.

Perhaps it would be better to write it as
(30 shares) [($0.60/quarter)/shares)] (3 years) (4 quarters/year).

Then note that [($0.60/quarter)/shares)] is really [($0.60/quarter)/(shares/1)].
On fractions, the one in the divisor is inverted and multiplied, so this is really

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.