Word Problems/Complex Fractions

Question
Hello:

Would a complex fraction like (1/2)/(3/4)/(5/6) equal 1/2 X 4/3 X 6/5?

I thank you for you reply.

Answer
Yes, that is correct.  Since 1*4*6 = 24 and 2*3*5 = 30, the answer is 24/30 = 4/5.

There are two division symbols, as in a/b/c where a = 1/2, b = 3/4, and c = 5/6.
The rule of division, when two operations appear, are to perform the one on the left first.

Note that if it had been (1/2)/[(3/4)(5/6)], the right division symbol would have been done first.  This would have been (1/2)/[(3/4)*(6/5)] = (1/2)/(9/10) = (1/2)(10/9) = 5/18.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson