WordPerfect/Wordperfect 5.1

QUESTION: My Wordperfect 5.1 screen has changed to the pull down menu and I cannot figure out how to get back to the command menu. Can you help please

ANSWER: What operating system are you using and are you using version 5.1 or a higher version in the 5.1 mode?

QUESTION: Thanks Mike. I am using Windows XP and as I understand it Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS. Is there somewhere I should look to confirm the exact version? I have been using WP 5.1 for many years and suddenly found myself in the drop down menu mode.

I think you should consider upgrading to at least version X3. There is an option to run it in 5.1 mode so you can still do that if you want to. Looks and acts the same way. But, I have found the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) feature much better than 5.1. But to each his own. Also, not every DOS program is backwards compatible in XP. You can get X3 and newer versions extremely inexpensively here:
I'm sorry, I don't have a version of 5.1 here to check out your problem. I do remember using it though in 1990. It was great and the later versions continue to out perform anything Microsoft or anyone else offers.
Good Luck

Mike McIntyre

I have used WordPerfect since 1989 and am proficient in many of its features. Used it for word processing and desktop publishing. Know little or nothing about spreadsheets and equations

m.Twenty three years using the program.

College Diploma