Wordpress/Wordpress without a blog?

I was talking with a friend the other day, and he mentioned that he setup his ecommerce website using Wordpress. I thought Wordpress was a blogging platform. What other websites can you make and how? I would like to start a Q&A website. Would wordpress work?

Hey Jack,

Your friend is correct. WordPress can be used for almost any type of website, including Q&A. WordPress websites are customized using plugins and themes created by other users. Most of the plugins & themes can be found for free on

In your case, you could use one of the themes recommended at to get started with a Q&A website. Anytime you are looking for a specific plugin, try searching for it in Google with "WordPress Plugin" or "WordPress Theme" in the keywords. For example, if I need a plugin that will help me add a Facebook like button to my website, I would search for "Facebook Like Wordpress Plugin." It's rare that I can't find a plugin that with accomplish what I need.  

Chris Gagner

Almost anything about Wordpress. -Getting Started -Finding the right themes & plugins -Search Engine Optimization -Editing CSS, HTML,& PHP -Security & Backups -Finding a good web host Note: I currently only answer questions about single user Wordpress. I don't answer questions about Multi-User.

I've built several personal and business websites with Wordpress, as well as a few others for colleges. In my opinion, it's one of the most powerful ways to make any website (not just blogs)! I've downloaded and used over 400 plugins, and read about many others. I always download free themes for my websites, then heavily customize the CSS and PHP until it looks unique. Over the years I've become an expert in Wordpress because that is all I've ever used to create my websites.

Personal experience using Wordpress since 2007.