Wordpress/Free Themes

Question
QUESTION: Hello Chris,

I found some premium themes for free on a website, wplocker.com. I was wondering if it is legal and safe to download these themes.

ANSWER: Chris,

I would advise against downloading themes from this website for a couple reasons.

1) The themes offered on wplocker are premium themes for sale on other websites. WPlocker is illegally offering copyrighted material on their website. If you like one of these themes, please support the author of the theme by purchasing it.

2) The themes offered by wplocker and similar websites probably have malware added to them. This could allow them to gain access to your server, compromise private information, etc. Since you don't know how they altered the code, don't download the product.

If you want a good free theme, I would recommend that you check out the Wordpress.org theme section. I'm sure they have a great starter theme for you on there.

QUESTION: Are you sure that they contain malware? I googled WPlocker and I read that their downloads are safe?

Answer
No, I don't know for sure that it contains malware. However, I don't know that it's safe either.

I can tell you that it is 100% copyright infringement.

If you want to ensure that a theme is safe, always download it from Wordpress.org or directly from the author.

Wordpress

Chris Gagner