QUESTION: How can i create columns on wp front page? I want a design similar to the website called upworthy

One of the easiest ways to accomplish this is to install a Wordpress theme that uses grid columns. Here's a list that offers some great free and premium themes that should help you accomplish this: http://www.wpexplorer.com/15-must-have-pinterest-like-wordpress-themes/

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

QUESTION: thanks. I found one. In general do all themes come with a sidebar on the right to place ads onto and if one does not is it fairly easy to stick one in there for display ads?

Most themes do come with a sidebar. If it has one, you can easily add it in the wp-admin by going to Appearance > Widgets. Add a text widget to the sidebar, and place your ad code into it.

Adding a sidebar to a theme that doesn't already have one requires quite a bit of knowledge in PHP, HTML and CSS. You'd need to edit the theme files to add the sidebar. If you lack knowledge in those areas, it's best to stick with a theme that is closest to what you need.

If you want to learn more about those three, W3Schools offers some excellent free courses on them. I've went through them myself: http://www.w3schools.com/  If you're planning on sticking with building a website, it's great to have a basic knowledge of each.  

Chris Gagner

Almost anything about Wordpress. -Getting Started -Finding the right themes & plugins -Search Engine Optimization -Editing CSS, HTML,& PHP -Security & Backups -Finding a good web host Note: I currently only answer questions about single user Wordpress. I don't answer questions about Multi-User.

I've built several personal and business websites with Wordpress, as well as a few others for colleges. In my opinion, it's one of the most powerful ways to make any website (not just blogs)! I've downloaded and used over 400 plugins, and read about many others. I always download free themes for my websites, then heavily customize the CSS and PHP until it looks unique. Over the years I've become an expert in Wordpress because that is all I've ever used to create my websites.

Personal experience using Wordpress since 2007.