World Music/Chinese percussion

I need help identifying an instrument in this movie clip.

It's at 2:01

Behind the constant tapping of metal, what's that "boinging" sound? It sounds like some kind of warped, metal cymbal, but I'm not sure.

It's a little tough to hear given the sounds in the foreground, but I will give you my best guess. This is strictly my own opinion.

There are two instruments that pop up where you pointed me two. They are actually two that go together quite often, so I am fairly confident with my guess. The first, higher pitched instrument, are actually small Chinese cymbals. If you listen to this recording of these cymbals, you should be able to hear the similarities to the video you sent me.

The other, deeper sound, was harder to place. My best guess is that it is a hand gong. This instrument can be played a number of ways, each making a somewhat different sound. I have a recording of one here. It would be the first gong, the smallest one.

My other guess is that may be a muffled gong. I can't find a recording of this sound anywhere, but it is a possibility.

I hope that answers your question!

World Music

Chelsey Moudry

I can answer questions regarding the history and background of music from around the world. For more modern pieces, I can answer questions regarding the country of origin for artists/bands and for some older groups. I am very comfortable with music from: Japan, China, england, Scotland, Ireland, Philippines, India, Canada, USA, Mexico, Russia, and Iceland. I am fairly knowledgeable of other smaller countries as well, but may not be able to comfortably answer too many questions regarding these other countries. "Bollywood" is another area I feel very comfortable with. I could answer questions regarding what film a song is from as well as who is singing.

I collect music from around the world, both old tunes and new. With every song or album I aquire, I always look up the english lyrics in order to understand what the artist is singing about, and I read up on the history of the piece. My curent library holds over 10,000 songs from 85 different countries.

I do not hold a degree, but I have 2 years of college as a vocal music major. Most of my knowledge is gained through self study.