World News/Syria conflict

Dont you think that this limited action response would do nothing?It sounds like the U>S> is going to be in an unfortunate situation that they may have to put boots on the ground.I mean we went through this before kind of when after the cole bombing there was a limited response hence world trade center is not there.Whats your theory on this?

While all military strikes are wild cards in which no one can predict how things will play out, I believe the odds that Pres. Obama will assent to sending ground troops into Syria are very small. The President has made it a keystone of his national security policy to extricate the U.S. from ongoing conflicts (i.e., Afghanistan, Iraq) while scrupulously avoiding entering new ones. Obama dearly wants to focus economic and political energies on addressing the country's pressing domestic challenges. Moreover, the American public is war weary. Polls show a majority opposing new military interventions.

The White House is focusing on punishing Assad and degrading his military capabilities in the context of a limited aerial and standoff weapons operation.  

World News

James Bruno

Diplomacy and foreign affairs. How government decision-making takes place. Interactions of the White House, State Dept., Pentagon, Congress and CIA in formulating policy. How governments deal with each other. Area expertise includes Afghanistan, Indochina, Europe, Cuba. Served in Guantanamo. Currently a member of the Diplomatic Readiness Reserve and Standby Response Corps.

23-years as a diplomat with the U.S. State Dept. Previously at the Defense Dept. Prior to joining government, worked as a journalist with major news organizations.

CBS-News, UPI; various newspapers. Published novelist: PERMANENT INTERESTS and CHASM.

M.A. - U.S. Naval War College
M.A. - Columbia Univ.
B.A. - George Washington Univ.

Various in government.