Worst of the Web/email account privacy

Hello, I recently experienced the worst of the web when someone hijacked my e-mail account, changed my password and blocked my access to my own account. Even if the motive behind it may have just been a prank it is safer to know better about Internet security than be sorry.

The account in question is a Gmail account. When it was hacked the only security barrier I had on it was a password as it is with any regular e-mail account offered by providers. After it was hacked I saw that Gmail has lately introduced a 2 step verification system. With this it not only takes a password but also a verification code to authenticate the user by sending you the code through SMS on the Mobile number you provide it at login. So obviously hoping for better security in future I have now set up this 2 Step Verification system on my account. But my question was that how safe really is this 2 Step Verification System as compared to the regular password? Is it safe to say that my account is officially unshakeable unless someone a got access to my mobile, or is it possible to still somehow break it without a code?
Thank you.

Hey Hamster,

Since Google introduced the two-step verification process they have seen a drastic reduction in the number of email accounts that can be hacked. I do not know if any of these two-step verification accounts have been hacked yet. I have two-step verification set up on all of my Google accounts and feel that it is a very secure way of validating who the user is. Yes they would have to have your cellular phone in order to gather the account code that is needed in order to access the account.

You should be safe from 99.9% of the hackers that are attempting to get people's email accounts. Most of the time the reason that your email account is hijacked is to use it send out spam until the account is locked by the service provider or the owner is able to wrestle back control of the email.

I think you're good to go now, be safe and stay well.

Worst of the Web

Chris Wagoner

I investigate all the "worst of the web" types of crimes and scams in addition to being very familiar with e-mail phishing, web page scams and other Internet hoaxs and scams. I have worked in the "arm-pit" of the Internet for years and can help explain any of these areas or issues to you. I am a police Commander that conducts Computer Crime Investigations at the Local, State and Federal level. I have investigated all most any kind of crime with which or which involved a computer and the internet, from murders, kidnappings, extortion, drug dealing and more. I can answer questions concerning Computer Forensics (the art of recovering information from a suspects computer), Computer Crime Investigations and Internet Investigations. I can answer questions on almost any crime in which a computer is used. I am a Federally Court Certified Expert in Computer Crime and Computer Forensics. I have worked in both Facebook and MySPace, also in Peer to Peer investigations. In addition I can answer questions concerning child predators and how to make your children safer on-line. I teach Computer Forensics, Internet Investigations, Peer to Peer Investigations and other computer crime related subjects for several colleges and the Institute of Police Technology and Management.

I conduct computer crime investigations in conjunction with the F.B.I., Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Gainesville Police Department, and University of Florida Police Department, Levi County Sheriff’s Office, Starke Police Department and other agencies in the North Florida Court District. I provide the forensic data recovery services for those agencies as well as internet tracing and information gathering. I am a Federal Court Certified Expert in Computer Crime Investigations and Forensics. I teach Computer Forensics for the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. I also teach Computer Crime courses for Tallahassee Community College, Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Training Center. Associate Instructor; teach Computer Crime courses thorough out the world for IPTM. Presently Teach Cyber Crime Investigations, Computer Crime Investigations and Computer Forensic Data Recovery Course.

2 degrees in Criminal Justice

Awarded the FBI Directors Award for assisting the FBI in a National Computer Crime Investigation. Awarded Dec 2002