Worst of the Web/Google Searches !

Question
Greetings !
I'm currently an unemployed individual who is quite concerned about internet privacy.
I have an account on FB and I have posted various comments on the other FB accounts - pertaining to politics and the world of entertainment.
Now I see that my comments have wound up on Google and I am quite mortified.  I happen to be quite conservative in a very liberal area and though I just offered encouragement to someone who is quite conservative I am always worried that people might do a search on me and cause me potential problems down the line. I am now reluctant to post anything on FB or anywhere else because I do not like to be looking over my shoulder...post a comment and then worry about ramifications........I have had to water down my comments and feel I am becoming far too wary. Please advise !  Thanks !

Answer
iPredator-Information Age Forensics
iPredator-Information  
Dear Albert,

First and foremost, your question leads to an excellent point in the growing area of Online Reputation (aka Digital Reputation) and Digital Footprint. These 3 terms, Online Reputation, Digital Reputation and Digital Footprint are three terms I strongly suggest you Google and research. I would also add Online Reputation Management to your search term queries.

You are correct in being careful posting any information in cyberspace unless you first make sure the vehicle in which you are disseminating information is 110% secure. To assess security and privacy of information, be sure to check the site's Privacy Settings, Member Guidelines & Privacy Policies. With Facebook, and not knowing if you posted your political comments on a FB group, FB friend page, FB cause page etc. and what their Privacy Settings were set at, I do not have sufficient information to answer why your comments are somehow now available through search engines connected to your identity.

Given you are unemployed at this time and possibly using cyberspace for employment search or suspect potential employers may do an online identity search prior to employing you, I would hold off on sharing anything in cyberspace that can be potentially misinterpreted until you secure employment. Although employers are discouraged from conducting identity searches on potential employees, given the level of inaccurate information about people is rampant and not verifiable, college admission boards and all types are businesses are increasingly using search engine technology to find out about a person they are thinking about employing or accepting.

There are few ways to remove negative and/or controversial information from cyberspace and the "Grand Google Aggregation Machine" once it has been disseminated, other than having the author remove it, the site where it was authored remove it, or the search engine who is connecting that information to the identity remove it. Google is doing its job and cannot be held accountable as well as the website (Facebook) where the information was first posted. Only when information about anyone or anything has been considered to be obscene, criminal, deviant, violent or highly controversial will search engines and social networking sites remove the information.

Lastly, also be careful of the 100's and soon to be 1000's of organizations and professionals who, for a cost, will promise you they will solve your negative reputation problems. Not that all are engaging in false advertising and nefarious online activities and some are certainly reputable and effective, but the Online Reputation Management industry if filled with "Snake Oil Salesmen". If this is a potential option for you or anyone who may read this, practice "Buyer Beware."

As stated, the question you ask is in itself, touches a huge arena involving cyberspace and privacy. Lastly, my recommendation is to always be cautious about what you share in cyberspace because you never know how it may be used by others. As my Mom use to say, God rest her soul, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Her words I live by when it comes to disseminating information both offline and online. Good Luck in your job hunting.

Respectfully,
Michael Nuccitelli Psy.D., C.F.C.
NYS Licensed Psychologist
CEO, iPredator Inc.
Website: www.iPredator.co
Email: drnucc@ipredatorinc.com  

Worst of the Web

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli