Worst of the Web/Email address on adult sites

Question
Hi Dr. Nuccitelli,

Previously someone asked if it was legal for a person's name to be posted on an adult site without the person's permission. You said it was not illegal. Does this also apply to someone's email address posted online without the person's permission? Are there any laws that protect people from this kind of stuff? Or are there any laws being proposed? It seems that in situations like these companies have all the power while ordinary people are at their mercy. Totally unfair. Thank you for helping.

Answer
iPredator
iPredator  
Dear TJ,

Thank you for writing and, unfortunately, the answer still remains "not illegal". Although I do not know every state's legal statutes, everything I've studied and read to date suggests there are no known laws regarding posting people's contact information without their permission.

For example, an online user's name, employer, email address, home and work address, social media profile username and various other forms of contact and identity information are still considered public domain. I do not know of any laws being proposed at present. I hope I'm wrong, as I would be the 1st to stand up and vote "yes" for a law preventing someone from disseminating my personal information online without my consent.

In fact, adversarial ex-intimate partners, cyberstalkers, cyber harassers, internet trolls, sextortionists and other online users, engaged in malevolent online activities, will use the threat of disseminating a victim's personal information.    

Please note that as of 2014, America and most of the world, have yet to set standards, guidelines or laws on what is considered "public" information and what is considered "private" information. I do know that posting a child's contact information is far more serious and handled differently by authorities.

It is totally unfair and needs to be changed holding those who do that accountable. Good luck

Respectfully,
Dr. Nuccitelli
NYS Licensed Psychologist
CEO, iPredator Inc.
Website: www.iPredator.co  

Worst of the Web

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli