Worst of the Web/Safe to submit ID card?

Dear Dr. Nuccitelli,

I have found my name and address on various people search sites. In order to remove my personal information, some of these sites require me to submit a copy of my ID card that shows my name, address, and date of birth.

Although I do not want my personal information on these sites, I am worried that the verified information I submit could someday be stolen from the sites and used for identity theft or other illegal purposes.

Do you think it is safe for me to submit a copy of my ID card to people search sites?

Thank you for your help.

iPredator | Information Age Forensics
iPredator | Informatio  

iPredator | Information Age Forensics
iPredator | Informatio  
Dear Matt,

Thank you for writing and Happy New Year. Related to your question, it is a little hard to advise you 100% correctly not knowing the people search sites you are talking about. Many social networking sites do allow true identity online users to submit verification of their identity to have a bogus identity removed. I also do not know what is on your ID card. If it has your social security number...I strongly discourage submission.

Before submitting anything to any site, first conduct a mini-investigation to make sure they are legit. I know it may take a couple hours, but if you're serious about having bogus identities removed, it's worth the extra time.

1. Is the people search sites you are writing about reputable?
2. Google the sites name and go 10 pages deep in your Google search results. It will take you about an hour, but after 10 pages of Google search results, you'll quickly know if they're reputable.
3. If you've done steps 1 & 2 and everything looks okay, then you are looking pretty good to send in your ID card.

The other thing I would highly recommend, and may not work but worth the try, is to attach in your correspondence with your ID card a request to know the identity or email address of the person(s) who set those accounts up using your name.

If this request fails, you're 100% positive someone is using your identity and no one is helping, the other thing you can do is to set up a fake profile at those sites, upload attractive pictures of some no name beautiful man or woman and initiate contact with them. Its certainly not the most ethical thing to do and takes a little time and creativity, but its one way to find out who is stealing your identity and using it for deceptive reasons. Also by creating a phony profile, it will afford you an opportunity to to research in what manner they are using your identity.

Good Luck,
Dr. Nuccitelli  

Worst of the Web

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli

cyber bullying, cyber stalking, cybercrime, cyber terrorism, online sexual predators, child predators, Internet safety, psychopathology, criminal psychology, forensic psychology and cyber psychology.

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli is a New York State licensed psychologist and certified forensic consultant. He completed his doctoral degree in clinical psychology in 1994 from the Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago, Illinois. In 1997, Dr. Nuccitelli became a licensed psychologist in New York State (License # 013009.) In 2006, he received the Certified Forensic Consultant designation from the American College of Forensic Examiners (Identification # 103110.) In September 2011, Dr. Nuccitelli established iPredator Inc. offering the private & public sectors educational and advisory services regarding cyber bullying, cyber stalking, cybercrime, cyber terrorism and Internet predators. In June 2012, Dr. Nuccitelli and iPredator Inc. launched their long anticipated website,, offering site visitors an incredible amount of information, education and advisory services. Over the last 25 years, Dr. Nuccitelli has worked in the mental health field in a variety of capacities with various clinical populations. Concurrent with his employment in mental health, Dr. Nuccitelli was a practicing psychologist for 10 years and worked in the field of forensic psychology conducting evaluations and consultation for attorneys and court systems. Dr. Nuccitelli has extensive career and academic experiences. His areas of expertise includes forensic & criminal psychology, digital forensic psychology, psychiatric & psychological disorders and developmental psychology. He is an avid follower of national & criminal news and enjoys educating the public by interacting with the media. Dr. Nuccitelli continues to investigate and expand his construct he has constructed, called iPredator. He presently consults with the American College of Forensic Examiners to become the resource and hub for Americans seeking information on iPredators, digital/computer forensics, cyber security and training programs for the professional sector and law enforcement.

American College of Forensic Examiners International

Dr. Nuccitelli's theoretical construct, iPredator, was the feature article in the 2011 Winter issue of the Forensic Examiner published by the American College of Forensic Examiners International. His recent article "2012 Cyber Bullying Tactics," will be split and published in the Summer and Fall issues of their magazine.

Dr. Nuccitelli is a New York State Licensed Psychologist and certified forensic consultant.