Writer's Block/writers block

I'm writing a story about a bad case of mistaken identity but have real bad writers block. The main idea is a mom and daughter get mixed up and the mom gets stuck pretending to be the daughter for a school event. I figured the mom would be short and that's why she was mistaken for the daughter but as to what event and how the mistake happens I can't figure out? Any ideas or suggestions?

Hi Joshua,
What an interesting idea for your story. You may have to hang out and observe young girls to get an idea about my response :)

Make a list of young girl's behavior that you know or have seen: they giggle, go to the bathroom together, hold hands, try on things at the mall, seeking approval. They are rarely loners. A cell phone/texting is a Major prop in their lives, even at a school event.

You get the idea. Just a list. Then, choose the ones that will work into your story and see if it reads like you wish.

Thanks for writing.

Dr B

Patricia Brawley, PhD

Writer's Block

Patricia Brawley, PhD

EXPERTISE: I work with people who have an idea not expressed yet, commonly called a writer's block. I can help you find the feeling and words to get you back on track with your writing. If being stuck is a general theme in your life, I offer personal coaching. I do not edit or critique your writing.

I am a licensed independent professional counselor, coach, and consultant. I have experience leading writing groups and mentoring writers. I am the author of published short stories and poems, winning awards in each category. I frequently attend writing conferences and participate in an organized writing association. I speak at conferences about topics related to personal growth, mental health topics, and existential living. I have presented original research in Japan, Canada, Italy, Finland, Russia, and across the United States. I have a PhD in Psychology which serves me well to work with the way habits and beliefs interfere or motivate us to succeed. I also am a university level professor and often help people summarize, clarify, and articulate their ideas. Needless to say, I am an avid reader.

American Psychological Association American Counseling Association Gulf South Writers Association Mississippi Counseling Association Mississippi Psychological Association

The Compass - a newsletter for Counselors The Magnolia Quarterly

PhD - Psychology - Saybrook University, San Francisco,CA M.S. - Counseling Psychology - University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS B.S. - Social and Rehabilitation Counseling - University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS Over 1,000 hours continuing education hours.

1st Place - 2011 - Poetry - "Hurricane Point" 1stPlace - 2009 - Short Story - "The Earring"