Writer's Block/Are writers or good speakers born or made?

Question
I have been wondering about this for the longest of time. Are writers born or made? And I also ask that of those that seem to be so eloquent on television during interviews. I struggle with writing and expressing my thoughts. So I ask myself are good writers born? Or can you learn how to write well? Likewise, is eloquence something that can be learned and improved upon or are you just born with a "gift" to speak....all of this stems from the fact that i can never seem to summons the right words to use in writing or when speaking. And when I observe others they seem to be able to do it so effortlessly. It frustrates me and has me questioning my intelligence at times...it even has me thinking that i have some kind of learning or speaking disorder like dyslexia or aphasia or something..or do i simply just need to read more books? please help thank you

Answer
Dear Jamel,

First: the questions I receive are not just about the person who asks them, and the problems my readers have aren’t unique to them. As a result, I don’t answer questions privately because that means I can’t share my answers with everybody who might need help.

Now let’s take a look at your problem.

I’m willing to bet you wrote your question without revising it—which tells me you wrote a pretty good first draft.

Here’s a quick analysis:

[Subject ] Are writers or good speakers born or made?

[Introduction ] I have been wondering about this for the longest of time. Are writers born or made?

[Example ] And I also ask that of those that seem to be so eloquent on television during interviews.

[Problem ] I struggle with writing and expressing my thoughts.

[First Question ] So I ask myself are good writers born? Or can you learn how to write well?

[Second Question ] Likewise, is eloquence something that can be learned and improved upon or are you just born with a "gift" to speak....

[Problem Restated ] all of this stems from the fact that i can never seem to summons the right words to use in writing or when speaking.

[Example Restated ] And when I observe others they seem to be able to do it so effortlessly.

[Central Fear ] It frustrates me and has me questioning my intelligence at times...it even has me thinking that i have some kind of learning or speaking disorder like dyslexia or aphasia or something..

[Solution/Suggestion ] or do i simply just need to read more books?

[Polite and Gracious Closing ] please help thank you

~Pretty good writing, Jamel. Let's continue.

*****************************

NATURE VS. NURTURE

You asked a question about nature and nurture. Were you born with certain gifts, or can you learn them?

Sure, a few people are born with the capability of learning how to write and speak better than the rest of us. But if they don’t receive the education or seek opportunities, then what? Their gifts lie dormant.

A few other people are born with little or no capability of learning how to write or speak. They, too, must receive education and seek opportunities in order to build their skills as far as they can. Otherwise, nothing happens and they get the same results as the gifted people.

The rest of us—which is the majority—fall between those two extremes. We have the capability of learning to write and speak. Most of us receive enough education to at least get by, and we can get more if we want more. Opportunities to improve happen by chance or choice.

EFFORT VS. OUTCOME

Struggling to write or speak is different from writing or speaking well. The effort may be difficult even if the outcome looks easy. Yes, you and I can improve our writing and speaking skills, but sometimes what looks easy comes at great cost.

The question is: are you willing to make the effort? You have two choices:

1. You can read about aphasia or dyslexia and give yourself the symptoms if you work your imagination hard enough, OR

2. You can read less, write and speak more, and let your imagination feed those developing skills.

DOING VS. READING

Don’t abandon books; use them to support your writing and speaking efforts. But also take a writing class locally or join a writers group online. If you’re nervous about thinking of yourself as a writer, search for a BEGINNING writers group. There are hundreds, if not thousands of them online.

Regarding speaking skills: visit a Toastmasters Club in your area and observe what goes on. You’ll see people who are helping each other learn how to speak in public, and maybe you’ll want to join. Go to <href="www.toastmasters.org/"> to find clubs near you. Visiting is free, and membership costs very little.

FAKE VS. REAL

The people on TV are constantly prepped by coaches, managers, and handlers. They work hard to sound the way they do. They’re constantly striving to improve their public images, and they can be personally devastated if their public images fail.

People like you and me may not want to build images for TV, but we definitely want to write and speak well as our true selves.

To do that, we have to seek more education and better opportunities. Luck is helpful, but it’s not automatic.

YES, YOU CAN!!

Most important is to direct your attention and effort to what you want for yourself. Choosing to improve your speaking and writing skills—and knowing it’s a lifelong effort that can be both hard and fun—will definitely pay off.

Ask me how I know this ... ☺

Writer's Block

Frances S. Ponick