Writer's Block/Ideas about Blog Name

Hello Mrs. Ponick,

I understand that this is the place to post writer's block, and I happened to have 'writer's block' about creating a good blog name. This is something like creating a good book title, but it differs in that I can make the content of the book first and then think about the title later, where in the blog case, I need to make the blog name first (and I can't change it later), then add the contents afterwards.

Here's the detail of what I want to put in the blog. I'm a soon a father-to-be of all-girls triplets (we're expecting them to be born at May 15, 2015), and I want to record my journey about raising them in blog. The blog maybe will mostly have photos, and some stories, and then videos, and then photos again. I'm hoping that, aside from other visitors who will come to my blog and reading about my experience, I'll also want that one day my kids will read these stories for themselves, in an organized way. Basically, I want to put the memories about raising them there, what mistakes I made, what I learned, memories I cherish about them, etc. And I'm not only talking about their toddler days. I might write about how's their first day in high school, or in college. I'm not seeing much fatherhood blogs on the internet, let alone talk about fatherhood with triplets.

If it can helps, I'm also a melancholic person, which I rarely able to write articles in a funny way. I usually write everything in a very deep reflection, about the meaning of life or something like that in my other blog. But of course I will try not to write something that deep for this blog, but I might if I see it fit.

Where it differs from a book title is that a name for a blog usually have to be shorter. Where a book can have a sentence long as its title (ex: People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting), a blog name rule of thumbs is usually just 3 or 4 words long. It still need to be catchy, while still can grow with me (for example, I don't wish to be stuck with 'triplets' in my blog name if I 'accidentally' having another child later haha). So generally, it needs to be general enough to be able to grow with me, while still catchy enough that people remember (and giving overall little good vibes to my blog).

Can you give some recommendations about fatherhood blog names of triplets? It would be more awesome if you give a little insight on why you recommend this name or that name. Some of the names I've thought (but still hugely not satisfied of them) of are:

- Fatherhood Little Adventures
(too long, and too general I think. It feels like a blog run by a company.)

- Little Angels from Heaven
(I'm afraid I will outgrow this blog name if they're not toddlers anymore. I can't change my blog name.)

- Fatherhood Memories
(I think it's better than the other two, and it's shorter, but I still think it lacks something personal, like it's too general.)

- Afternoon Coffee Chat
(Although it's a fancy name, it gives off 'business' vibe more than parenthood vibe. And I don't like coffee. But that's another matter.)

That's my question. Sorry if I looked like being too picky, and I need inputs to end my dilemma. And I'm sorry if this question is a little too long. Thank you very much for your help.

Dear Martin,

I imagine that you daughters have been born at this point, and I congratulate you!

Providing you with a title for your blog is outside the scope of my work at AllExperts, where I provide feedback, advice, and guidance for free to people who want to write. If you want that, please read on.  

I'll get straight to the point:

It seems to me that perhaps you are overthinking this problem. First of all, in writing the blog for your daughters, you don't need to worry about entertaining a different audience with a catchy title. I'm assuming that your focus is your relationship with them as they grow, how you are participating in their lives, and how you feel about all of this. If you do that in your blog, they’ll be thrilled regardless of what you name it.

If you feel compelled to find a title anyway, here are some ways to do that. Although book titles are usually longer than blog titles, that’s not always the case, and some of the methods for developing book titles can apply equally to blogs:

1. If you have worked too hard creating a title, I suggest you lighten up and have some fun with it. Go to the Writer's Fun Zone and play with different possibilities:

2. If you prefer using a structured approach, here’s a YouTube video about using existing Amazon titles as tools to make a new title.

3. If you don't feel like playing around with titles – or don't have the time anymore – just go to Amazon and search  “triplets”.

Contrary to popular opinion, you <i>can<i> change your blog name. Google "rename your blog” to find out how. Here's another idea: call it whatever you want. When your daughters get old enough to talk to you about it, ask them to name it — this could be the beginning of a wonderful ongoing conversation that all of you can participate in.

Best regards,  

Writer's Block

Frances S. Ponick

EXPERTISE: Unblocking communications is the main focus here, so all questions are answered publicly. I will answer questions from adults who are struggling with a book, a major report for an employer, a dissertation, or something equally hefty in business, science, or academics. I can help if you absolutely have to write something and can't get started, or if you've started writing and don't know what to do next. If you need help beyond individual questions, I also offer personal coaching, book doctoring, or critiques and analysis. I can answer questions about your novel, your journal, or your poem if you are under the gun because of a contract deadline or some other legal or workplace pressure. Unblocking communications is the main focus here, so I don't accept questions marked private.

Independent book doctor, author coach. Author of "Only Angels Can Wing It: Write a Eulogy Quickly and Present It Compassionately" and "101 Telephone Interview Tips for Speakers of English as a Second Language". Other titles in progress. Director of Publications at MENC: The National Association for Music Education, the largest nonprofit arts education association in the world. 1997–2008. Recruited experienced authors and developed novice authors. Their names are listed below in “Past and Current Clients,” and their books can be viewed on At conventions, gave presentations to nonprofessional writers: “How to Get an Article Published,” “How to Write a Book,” “The Publications Process,” “Working with Your Editor,” and similar subjects. Coached book authors and taught staff editors to coach authors. Ghost-wrote forewords for books, endorsements, speeches, marketing materials, presentations, proposals, technical writing, executive summaries, press releases, and other projects. Co-owner, Edge City Press. The Logic of Microspace, a collection of essays on rocket science used as a textbook at the U.S. Air Force Academy (2000). Senior Technical Writer/Marketing Support Specialist, Unisys Corporation, Publications and Engineering departments, 1984–93. S and TS clearances. Designed and taught classes in administrative, business, and technical writing. Wrote and rewrote all types of technical documentation, including proposals. Senior Technical Writer, Informatics General, Rockville, Maryland, 1982–83. Sole writer to thirty-five member Federal Marketing Organization. Conceived and created, wrote and edited numerous marketing brochures, commercial and government proposals. Designed document formats, provided hands-on assistance to technical personnel with documentation assignments, and edited their completed work.

National Speakers Association, Asian-American Chamber of Commerce

Some of these include: Contributor, The Dictionary of Literary Biography, Vol. 282: New Formalist Poets. (New York: Gale, 2003). Entries on Dick Allen, pp. 3–15; Jared Carter, pp. 31–40; Frederick Feirstein, pp. 83–90; and Bruce Meyer, pp. 223–32. Writer for major area HMO, responding to 300 client complaint/comment letters, 1995, 1997. Managing and poetry editor, The Edge City Review, a quarterly literary magazine, 1991–2005. Arts critic for the Times-Mirror Newspapers, a community newspaper chain with a circulation of 120,000. Reviewed galleries, music, fine arts, poetry/fiction, and profiled personalities. Arts reviewer for the Connection newspapers.

MNM (Master in NonProfit Management; coursework) Regis University, Denver, CO. M.A., American Literature, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC. B.A., English Literature, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH. P-ESL Certificate (Pronouncing English as a Second Language), IPL (Institute of Language & Phonology) Attendance at seminars and similar learning opportunities about twice a year.

American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) Deems Taylor Award for excellence, Music Educators Journal, 2004. Two First Prizes, Poetry Society of Virginia, 1999. Best Small Business of the Year Award, Reston Chamber of Commerce, 1997–98. Washington Dateline Award, Washington DC Professional Chapter, Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi (National Press Club), First Place for 1993 Arts Criticism, 1994. Award for Writing Excellence, DCI Publications Group, Alexandria, VA, 1992. Achievement Award, Independent Research and Development (IRAD) Brochures, Unisys Corporation, 1990. Exemplary Action Award, for proposal writing skills and for developing a data base of corporate capabilities to support proposal efforts, Unisys Corporation, 1989. Exemplary Action Award, for setting up and publishing a monthly project newsletter with sole responsibility for reporting, writing, and coordinating word processing, graphics, reproduction, and distribution while completing other duties as project editor, Unisys Corporation, 1989. Exemplary Action Award, for writing, editing and coordinating production for over 300 resumes within a one-month period for GSA STRIDE proposal delivered January, 1988. Commendation from Comptroller, U.S. Department of State, for designing, developing, writing, and producing the Budget Reporting System used by over 156 embassies worldwide, 1980. Honorable Mention, American Academy of Poets, 1975. University Research/Teaching Fellowships, University of South Carolina, 1972–75. Phi Sigma Iota Romance Languages Honor Society, 1975.

Most recently, Selected authors include Bennett Reimer; Maureen Harris, Jody L. Kerchner, Carlos R. Abril, Charlene Ryan, Zachary B. Poulter; Natalie Sarrazin, Victor V. Bobetsky; Patrick K. Freer Karin K. Nolan, Elise S. Sobol, Michael Mark, Lois Veenhoven Guderian, William Gradante, Margaret Schmidt, Steve Eckels, Rebecca E. Hamik and Catherine M. Wilson, Janet Barrett, Michele Kaschub and Janice Smith, Charlene Ryan, William J. Dawson, Tony Bancroft, Susan L. Haugland, Kevin Mixon, Chris Tanner, David Doerksen, Carol Frierson-Campbell, Debra Kay Robinson Lindsay. Their books can be viewed at Also Rick Fleeter, Ph.D.; Kaiser Permanente; Unisys Corporation, and many, many other individuals and companies over the past 35 years.