Writing Books/1st person writing

I'm one of those people that start and stop fiction writing all the time. I think I have 3 stories started so far, all different ideas/characters. My problem is I was told I wouldn't be taken seriously because I like to write in the 1st  person, or generally from the feelings and actions of my main character. Should I be worried about this? I personally enjoy the stories I read that are the same, but I don't find to many of them. Thanks for the help!

Hi Shay great question!  You can turn around and tell anyone who says that they shouldn't write in the first person that they are talking rubbish!  The latest thriller by the most famous thriller writer in the world, John Le Carre - is in the first person. It is a difficult way to write because it does limit the number of points of view to one - but if you can make it worth is great to read.

Go for it and good luck.

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia