Writing Books/1st person writing

Question
I am writing my story in the first person. When the main character is talking about her parents, should I use "my dad" or is it OK to just use "Dad?" Or can I switch back and forth? Simplified example: "I asked Dad what he wanted for dinner" or "I asked my dad what he wanted for dinner." It seems to be OK in the story to use "Dad" except that I'm not sure about this when there other characters. Example: "John looked at Dad with fear the first time they met" or John looked at my dad with fear..."
There are often multiple characters in the scene with the the main character's character when her parents are there and she has a running internal dialogue as well.  

Answer
Hello Lisa,

If you are writing a scene in which there is only one dad, you can introduce him as "my dad".  Then only use Dad. But if there are two dads present, you must either use proper names or "my dad."  In order to avoid abuse of a word, using it too many times, you might alternate with "father".

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris