Writing Books/book

Question
Dear JB,   
I have been plugging along.  Have about 250 hand written double spaced pages written so far.  Turns out I write at the same speed that I think.  Typing is way too slow, riddled with errors.   My wonderful baby sister has typed the first 100 pages for me.  She loves it because she was a kid and knew nothing of my experiences. I wrote to you before and received some valuable information and I have purchased some good books in the meantime.  A couple more questions:
1.   What type of cost adder can I expect if I add color to the book?  Not much, just a sub-title here and there.
2.   What cautions must I take if I use a map, sketch, or photo from the internet?
I must say, and I have previously read this, that the writing itself is so much fun.  Whether I publish or not, I will meet more interesting people along the journey and have lots of fun showing sections to friends.  Everyone should do this, even the boring people.  Thanks, Dick Schlueter

Richard Schlueter
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Ikonisys, Inc.
Five Science Park
New Haven, CT 06511
Ph: (203) 776-0791 ext. 210
Fax: (203) 776-0795
Richard.Schlueter@ikonisys.com
http://www.ikonisys.com  

Answer
Dear Dick,

Have you tried a word processor like MicroSoft Works or Word? You can type and spell check to correct errors. Just a thought...

I am understanding that you are self-publishing? Because adding "color" isn't an option for an author through traditional publishing- the art department handles design and covers.

If self-publishing, you would have to ask the printing company what they charge for color inside the book on text. There is a fee for design of cover front and back, etc. Each  POD is different in pricing. I wouldn't recommend using color for sub-titles inside the book... so just concentrate on the cover.

As far as map, sketch, or photo from the Internet: Most everything is copyrighted. Therefore, you can not use them.

BUT, the good news, e-mail the webmaster or owner and explain what you want, asking for permission to use the photo, etc. and there is a good possibility your permission will be granted if you give them credit in your book.

So, allow the art department to do your pictures and art work, unless there is something specific you are wanting- then ask the owner if you can use it, but get it in writing for future protection against a copyright lawsuit.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett