Writing Books/where do I start?

Question
I am a 43 year old regular guy with an extraordinary story of triumph and survival.  My wife and I have overcome unbelievable obstacles.  The book may need to be told with a Christian genre.  We are not by any means deeply religious people, but I a story of several personal miracles that can be verified by many different people and much documentation.  I am a salesman not a writer.  How do I tell my story?  I don't know where to begin.

Answer
Dear Ben,

You've already taken the first major step: you've recognized that there's a story birthing within you. The next step is not as complex as it seems: simply begin. Start setting words to paper. Start telling your story.

Don't worry about form or structure. Not yet. Just get the words out. Let the words out. There will plenty of time down the line to mold and shape the words into some sort of form. For now, the best thing you can do is start. Anywhere. At any part of the story.

There's also an article that you might find helpful as you launch this project: "13 Rules for Birthing Your Book."  It's a free excerpt from my book on writing, "The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write."  You'll find the article at  http://www.calltowrite.com/page/page/5118366.htm.

Good luck, and remember to take it one day at a time, one page at a time, one word at a time...and you'll be fine.

Mark David Gerson
author of "The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write"
http://calltowrite.com

Writing Books

Mark David Gerson