Writing Books/Fiction or non-fiction?

Question
Dear J.L.,

I want to write a novel based on my life experience growing up in another country - I want to
describe    quite a few characters, including myself, my family, friends, and
former classmates. My hometown is going to be an important character by itself -
I want to describe it detail.

However, I want to stay away from creating yet another  memoir. I will change the
names of the characters, but I don't want to alter descriptions of particular
situations, although I probably will enhance the narration with made up things. Am I safe from the legal point of view? And should I present it as a
fiction or non-fiction?

Thank you!

Answer
Hello Jennya,

Anything made up should be deemed fiction. Using past experiences as a base for a fictional piece is not unheard of. I would recommend you change names or get written specific permission from those people you are basing your characters on.

Otherwise, I can't see anything that would create problems. Always safer to use fictional names and keep away from very specific and identifying situations that would offend. Good luck,

J.L.

Writing Books

J.L. Slipak