Writing Books/Getting Started?

Question
Dear Ms. Clamp:

Has anyone been successful at turning a journal into a novel?  I'd like to give it a try.  I have some interesting and true stories to tell and am wondering how I should get started.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi, Cherie!

Sure, I don't see why you can't. I don't know personally of anyone who has, but that's not saying it hasn't happened. Not every author talks about what inspired a particular novel, and there are plenty that have that disclaimer on the front, "based on real events."

So, feel free. Go for it.

Getting started is a matter of determining the goal of the book. If it's your life you're writing about, you'll have to imagine an ending that's satisfying. There's where the "novel" part comes in. It started out fact, but twisted in the middle---becoming more than simple real life.

The trick with turning fact into fiction is making sure you don't make people you know too recognizable. That's a quick way to a lawsuit. So, if your Uncle Bob is heavyset with a tight military haircut and is cranky, flip him around. Now he's Uncle Moe, who's skinny as a rail, with long hair and an earring. Same person INSIDE, but not very recognizable. And, too, his internal motivation is different. He might DO the same things as Uncle Bob, but for different reasons. Does that make sense?

Change the setting from a small town to a suburb of a large city. Again, everything changes when the setting does. Then, just start writing. :)

Does that help any? If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with it!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp