Writing Books/Writing a book

Question
I am writing a true story of my experience,strength, and hope.  I have searched for my biological father and finally found him with a death certificate and then searched for his family.  This book will be about that search and the things I overcame growing up from having a baby at 15 yrs old to abusive relationships and overcoming drug abuse.  I want to know if this will be a good topic?

Answer
Hi, Jessica!

Sorry for the delay in responding. My internet's down at home, so I have to try to hit a public terminal from time to time until the satellite gets repaired.

Anyway, if the book---called a "Memoir" is important to you, then it's a good topic. The trick is whether it can compete in the marketplace for buyer dollars. Only a publisher can determine that, and the only way to know is to write it and try it out. :)

Once you have it written, write back and I'll let you know where to go from there.  If you're not sure HOW to write it, spend some time in your local bookstore or library reading other memoirs (especially bestsellers.) You'll figure out really quickly what elements in a book grab readers attention.  There's also a good book that can help you get started, called "Turning Memories into Memoirs"  Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Memories-into-Memoirs-Lifestories/dp/0961937327

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp