Writing Books/Writing my first novel

Question
I am in the process of my first novel. It is about a distopian society where the government has taken crime control to new extreme measures. it follows an agent of the government as he deals with his assignments of killing people and is troubled by various things resultign from those deaths.

Sorry for the rambling, I am just workign on the second chapter and I am really focused on just writing the book regardless or rules or expectations from any future publisher bu I wanted a sort of guideline as to how long you think each chapter or the book should be. The first chapter ended at 3,008 words. Thank you for your time and please email me if you need more information.

Answer
Hi, Ryan!

Sorry for the delay in responding, but my internet's been down, so I'm having to find public terminals until the satellite's repaired.

There is no required length for chapters. It can be a page or fifty. I tend to average about five to thirty pages. Most of it depends on where it "feels right" to end. Since I write fiction, I end the chapter where the reader feels the need to turn the page---a crisis point that makes the reader wonder what happens next. I suggest the same for yours. Think about it like a made-for-TV movie. The commercial break usually gets inserted when the gun shot rings out, but you don't know who was shot, or the revelation of a big secret and you don't know how the listener will respond. Or the hero's grip on the cliff edge giving way. That sort of thing.

Hope that helps! Good luck with it.

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp