Writing Books/How to begin and put emotion into writing

Hello! I am a young inspired writer with two major problems blocking me from writing well. First, when writing for fun, it is very difficult to begin writing. I have tons of ideas, but I cannot seem to put them into words. It never seems right, and a lot of times I keep writing and erasing because I can't get the right words.

Another problem I have when I do write is that I cannot inject emotion in my writing. It seems I only put down the details and go on. How do you put some feeling in without losing touch with what is happening?

Hi Rachel:

Yours is a common problem. Young writers often find it difficult to get started and when they do, they don’t like what they write. It doesn’t “seem right,” doesn’t “come out” the way the author intended. They can’t find “the right words.” In reality, they may have found the exact right words, but young writers seldom know when they have; they are unable to judge their own work. It takes years of study, writing and especially reading, to reach that point. So put aside your need to know whether it’s “right” or wrong, and just get your ideas down. I suggest you use a few keywords, just enough to remind you what the idea was. Date and keep them, so you can go through them later and see if anything sparks.

Writing emotion is often difficult for young writers. In this connection, there is an excellent book on the subject, called Creating Character Emotions, by Ann Hood. You can get a copy for a penny at I strongly suggest you get this book; you will learn a lot about a very important subject.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1350+ questions.

And thank you for writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication