Writing Books/a character in hiding

Question
Dear Ms. Morris,
I am working on a historical novel with quite a large cast of characters. For the most part, I love them!  I made some rough character sketches, but then threw them out and have been letting the characters do whatever they want.  I have a rough idea how I'd like to see them grow and change over the course of the story, and they're mostly going along with it--but in delightfully surprising ways!  Several of them are much more complex than I had thought they were going to be.  A few have developed a sense of humor I didn't know they were going to have.  It's fun to get some of them talking, just to see what they're going to say.

End gushing.

There's this one character to whom none of the above applies.  I cannot imagine her at all--not her face, her voice, or her personality.  Why do you think this is happening, and what do you suggest I try?

Answer
Hello Carissa,

First, let me say how delightful to hear from someone who knows and understands how I, too, write.  Ain't it fun???  I find myself so surprised by what my characters do ... just as my readers are.  

Now to your problem:  You are blocking her. Unconsciously, of course, but something in you is keeping her at arm's distance, out of sight, so to speak. You must coax her to reveal herself to you.  You can do this in many ways, one of which is to ask her to come to you in a dream. Or you can find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed, during the day, and ask her to show herself.  Lie back and close your eyes. Try to see an open place.  Invite her and then you will have to try and stick with the first symbol that comes to you.  It will be a symbol of her.  Then simply have a conversation.  Ask and wait for her to answer.  Any question you ask, she will answer.

Please let me know how this turns out?  I am so curious as to her identity.  My email is:  dkmr2008@verizon.net.   I would love to correspond with you further.  You are the FIRST writer to contact me who creates as I do, or as I tell my readers, my people do. Sometimes I don't feel as though I am doing it at all.  "They" are.
Best wishes,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris