Writing Books/inspiration

Question
Sir,
Please treat my question with politiness even if it looks irelivant,I have a problem drawing inspiration and being focus whenever I decide to write,though I have the intents of what I am to write about.
Actually,I am writing a book about past and present struggles and hardship in life,particularlly in an African settings.
I therefore,pray that my question will be giving an opportunity for an answer.
Yours sincerely,
Ntata Anthony.

Answer
Ntata,

Inspiration is not something you can obtain outside of yourself. Someone else can not give it to you, however, they can inspire you, but since your story is about present struggles and hardships, it will be an inner inspiration and a person can not inspire you on this.

What you'll need to do is just write. Yes, just sit down and write (when you 1) have the opportunity and 2) are actually inspired to write at that moment)....

Do not worry about it's correctness and it's content so much, but write what it is you are feeling and what you intend to convey.

Once the writing begins, the inspiration should flow. You will get more ideas and inspiration to write and will require to organize them in an outline and/or notes so you can refer back to those and add them in their proper places within the story.

Editing can be done later.

Carry a pad and pen (or spiral notebook, or small pad) with you all the time: jot down things as you experience them, think of them, are reminded of them, etc.

Refer back and write.

Inspiration happens to us randomly. Take advantage of it in the moment with the pad and pen, or sitting down and actually writing.

As far as focus, this is a discipline that you have to teach yourself and commit to. Do you want to write this story? Are you committed to writing this story? What is your intent? To publish? Or therapy?

Commit. Discipline yourself by setting up a time, a day, a length of time, that you are alone, no outside interferences, etc., so you can focus while writing. Refer to your notes and think. Reflect, and meditate on it.

Then write.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett