Writing Books/To resubmit or not resubmit (2)

Hello again Sandy.

I recently asked you about the wisdom of resubmitting a query to an agent if much time has past--and which you advised against.

I'm still a bit confused about something, however.  Are you advising against resubmitting to the "agency"--which may contain many different agents and who have different likes and dislikes--or only that in respect of the particular agent formerly addressed?

In short, is it still considered taboo to resubmit to a different "agent" at the same agency where another agent there rejected your query a year ago?

Hi Dan,

I would advise against submitting to the same agency UNLESS you have made a direct connection with an agent other then the one who rejected the manuscript previously. I would try and establish a relationship with an agent before sending a manuscript. It is really important to know they will read your submission. A phone call explaining the past history of the work would be a good start. Unless an agent agrees to consider a manuscript there is little point in sending it to them.

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia