Writing Books/Where to start?

Question
Hello,
I have been writing for my own enjoyment for about six or seven years, i have a large selection of poetry and short stories and have just completed my first novel and am working on a second. I have recently felt the desire to become published and share some of what i have written but i really don't know where to start, Should i try to self publish or seek out an agent and publisher, and how would i go about doing this?
Any advice you could give me would be welcome. (i am a 26 year old woman from the uk)

Answer
Hello Emily,

Self publishing is the quickest and surest way to be published. You can engage a publicity firm to send copies of your book around to reviewers and to set up book signings.  However, the chance of selling many books is hit or miss, mostly miss.

The other possible route ... the agent and publisher ... is also just a possibility.  Finding an agent who will sign with an unpublished writer is not easy and being published would require a very, very good work.

First I would make sure that my work is absolutely bullet-proof for proof-reading and editing.  Mistakes or sloppy writing will turn off the most eager agent.  So send one  of your works to a writers' critic to get an opinion of your writing ability and the quality of the work. If he says that it is excellent all around, then try for the agent.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris