Writing Books/1st person fiction

Question
I have been writing and working on a fictional novel that is in first person, and have been getting stuck when it comes to the main character introducing the afterlife they have been introduced in. Should I begin the intro with the current events, and what the main character thinks of it, or what the afterlife is like and such and how it began? I can't be too sure in which to start with.

Answer
Hey, Tyler...

Well, yeah... sometimes it's hard to know which way to go about something before doing it.  And unfortunately, I don't know if it's even possible for you to know which is the better choice ahead of time.

You might wish to go ahead and try both and see which you like better.  However, you should probably consider, for example, which opening will grab the readers' attention more quickly, and hold it more thoroughly.  This sort of thing is often done using action (which in your example might be the current events scenario), but can also be done with unusual circumstances (which in your example would probably be the afterlife scenario).

Trial and error, Tyler...  Dive in, try both, and see which one works better.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales