Writing Books/Book marketing question

With my brother, I created two books of artistic depictions of cliches, puns, etc.  I submitted the idea to 3-4 agents, with no luck.  I submitted to a few publishers who accept submissions without an agent.  Again, no luck.  I self-published.  

I am at the point now of marketing the books and I am not quite sure where to start. My goal is to have the books picked up by a "real" publisher, but to continue to sell them and get as much publicity for them in the meantime.  Either way, I'm wondering if you have any advice for me.  (I do have a website up  

Hi Jennifer,
What a great idea for a book. I am surprised you have not managed to get an agent for such a novel idea!  However, now you have started down the road of self-publishing you will find it can be very difficult with the biggest problem you will face being distribution. Very few books get picked up after self-publishing. That said, it does happen.

My suggestion would be to redouble your efforts to find an agent as your idea is a great one.

All the best.

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia