Writing Books/first draft finished, now what

Question
Hi Susan,
I just finished my first draft of a fiction novel after following your great advice on getting started. It is about a college girl with paranormal gifts of seeing spirits and her search for peace, them and herself. Now what, do I read through and edit for more appealing writing, than share it afterwards for insight and critique? How do I know it's ready to hit the publishing market? Help please!!

Best,
Heather

Answer
Hi Heather:

Congratulations on finishing your first draft.

First drafts are very seldom ready to send out for publication. Two or three or more rewrites may be required before a MS is actually finished. It depends on the level of your skill. Unless you have a solid background in editing, I would recommend that you not attempt to edit your own work. I would suggest that you hire a professional to do the job, or to guide you through the process if you want to do it yourself. A professional is, or should be, neutral, and will tell you the truth as they see it.

At my website - pygmypress.com, I offer editor and mentoring service at a very reasonable price.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1350+ questions.

And thank you for writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand