Writing Books/writting books

Question
I would like to write a fictional novel with lots of suspense and action with a love story imbedded in it all.  i have a few ideas, but I am having trouble finding a good central conflict, because of it, the story is lacking purpose and interest...what can i do to help find some good ideas for conflict?

Answer
Hello Marie,

Unfortunately, you are expecting a miracle solution that would be "forced."

By forced, I mean, grabbing at ideas and trying to "work them in" to get your end result= central conflict.

It can not be done-- well, it can, but even the best of writers couldn't pull it off without it reading as "forced."

The secret to any conflicts, and they are not "central conflicts" they are "sub-plots."

A sub-plot, which can be many throughout the book, are things that happen, daily lives of your characters, their feelings and issues, things beyond their control that they have to deal with, any crisis, drama; love, hate, death... anything.

First you have to have real, 3-D characters. They have, and must, be alive. So alive, they write their own story, their own conflicts, their own set of problems and solutions, and resolutions.

A good writer, a good book, is written by the good characters that the good writer created and allowed to "evolve and develop."

Once your main characters have evolved and developed, taking on unique personalities, thus coming to life, their characteristics and moral, principals, and personalities. write the book for you. You are just the messenger.

To create real, believable, alive 3-D characters, start a Character Profile Sheet on each, and allow that person (character) to be "born" and "grow."

Not only physical characteristics. like hair and eye color, possible scars, surgeries, health, height, weight, etc. but their birth date and place of birth, where they grew up; farm or suburbs, education, college, their current job/profession, likes and dislikes: favorite color, favorite foods, favorite movies and music, favorite clothing, favorite ice cream for that matter... how they were raised, their parents and their parent's personalities and beliefs, everything that makes a human a human. Do they dislike cats and favor dogs? Do they have fears and phobias? All these things. Even a bit of OCD!

Once these characters are REAL, your job is to write what THEY tell you and you simply guide them in the main plot of the book- they write the sub-plots and conflicts, guiding you.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett