Writing Books/Chapter numbers

Question
Is it necessary to start each chapter on the next page with a page break?

Answer
Hi, Donovan!

I saw your question in the pool, and thought I'd try to help out.

It's customary to start a new chapter on a new page with both a page break and some indication as to the chapter number or title (not every book numbers chapters. Some give them titles instead.) Mostly, it's for the reader's convenience, not the writer's. It would be a lot easier for the writer to just make a dash, or a few asterisks and move on to the next line. But that makes it hard for an editor to follow and the editor at the publishing house is the "first reader" of sorts.

Chapters exist because readers like them, so yeah---I'd say it's probably necessary. At least, it's more trouble than it's worth NOT to use a new page. You'll just have to put them in later if you don't put them in now.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp