Writing Books/Title.

Question
I'm having a hard time finding a Title for my book. Do you have any advice on how to find one?

Answer
There are a lot of things to consider when naming your book.

Obviously, you want the title to be memorable.  To that end, shorter is usually (though not always) better.  

You probably want the title to have some bearing on what your book is about.  When it comes to fiction, though, that can be trickier.  After all, if you've written a non-fiction guide on how to make cheese, you're pretty limited in where you can go with your title.  But with a novel?  Almost anything goes.  So you might want to go for more of a feeling than a description.  

So...  memorable... evocative... preferably short... and having something to do with your subject, if possible.

Consider...

When Peter Benchley wrote his novel about sharks, did he name it something mundane like "Sharks"?  Nope.  He named it "Jaws."  Very short, intriguing... almost an innocuous word, but no one can hear that word anymore without thinking of a Great White.

Or look at the classic, "To Kill a Mockingbird."  The title gives you no idea whatsoever as to the subject of the book.  It's not particularly short.  But it's definitely memorable.

What I suggest for you, Hannah, is to look over your bookshelf.  Pick the books with titles that you think are particularly good.  Then ask yourself what makes the titles so good.  Then try to apply that reasoning to your own work, in order to wring a title out of it.

Good luck.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales