Writing Books/A book idea

Question
I have an idea for a book but I don't want to share my idea in fear of someone stealing it.  How do I protect my idea while pursuing my dream of turning my idea into an autobiography, novel, etc?

Thank you.
Georgette

Answer
Hi, Georgette!

Unfortunately, an "idea" (such as a plot outline, characters, etc.) can't be copyrighted. It's only words on paper that have protection. Your best defense against anyone stealing it is to write it. Then you're automatically protected under U.S. Copyright laws (if that's where you live). Even your own notes aren't sufficient to keep an idea safe, so my best advice is to start writing! Not only is it fun, but it can be very profitable.

If you want to read more about your rights under copyright law, you can visit the source. The U.S. Copyright Office has a TERRIFIC website with easy to understand information. Check out:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq

You'll find out a bunch of information to get you started. Hope that helps, and If you have any other questions, just let me know. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp