Writing Books/non fiction writer

I am writing a book about crack addiction, this is my first book, it also has content about my life and I am not sure how long it should be. I have a word count of 15,000 at the present, how do I calculate what is trasfers to in book form? Do you think My subject is a worthy candidate to get published?

Hello April:

A book should use as many words as it takes to tell the story, no more, no less. Most books average around 250 words per page. Some books are short, some are long. You should write and write until you feel you have said all you want to say, and then stop.

I have no means of telling whether your work is "a worthy candidate to get published," without seeing it. Even then, it's a tossup. There is no way to predict what editors will buy and what they will reject. Agents have the best idea about these things. They usually know which publisher is buying what kind of book, how much they are paying, etc. When your book is finished to your satisfaction, you should seek out one of these to represent you. You can find plenty of them online.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1350 questions.

And good luck with your book!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication