Writing Books/Writing a biography on someone who's childhood isn't known

Question
Susan: I'm interested in writing a biography on an African American who was instrumental to the household of a famous person of the 1800s. The story is interesting once this person becomes employed in the household. But nothing of his childhood is known. It is known that he was born a slave in Maryland and that's it. How would you approach this as a children's biography without any or much reference to his childhood. All the children's biographies I see start out this way.

Answer
Hello Lisa:

Hmmm. I can see the problem here.

As I see it, you have two choices. You might aim the book at the youth market, rather than the children's market, where readers do not so much expect to identify with the subject as to simply get information, or just read an interesting book. Young children seem to want to read about children their age, fiction or non-fiction - Harry Potter is a good example - or a little older.

Or, you can write for younger children and make the book sufficiently interesting, and perhaps humorous, that they will be unable to resist it. This will take considerable skill, and would not be recommended for a first book.

What I would suggest is that you go to your local library and have a chat with the children's librarian, who should be able to give you some good advice.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over thirteen hundred plus  questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand