Writing Books/Illustrations under "Fair Use"?

Question
Hello again Liz.

Larsen & Pomada (and other writers on the subject of book proposals) recommend including all proposed illustrations. What they don't indicate, is whether doing this comes under "Fair Use".

Is a writer expected to secure permissions (and pay for them) even in advance of a book that--let's face it--may never see a shelf?

Dan O'Hanlon

Answer
Dear Dan:

Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head.  The author is usually contractually bound to get all permissions for artwork and excerpts.  If the permission costs money, then yes, you get to pay for it.  However, there are many sources of public domain artwork that are free for your use.  Check it out on the internet.

If the artwork is not public domain and the artist wants payment for its use, see if you can secure permission and negotiate to pay for the use when the book sells to a publisher.  At least then you can pay the fee out of your advance.

Liz Aleshire
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire