Writing Books/obtaining copyright permission

Question
Cathy, I have written a book that has been accepted for publication. The problem I'm having is in trying to track down photographers for permission to use certain photos, which in some cases are 50 years old. Several of the photos I want to use are in publications that do not list the photographer's name and the publication editors do not know how to get in touch with the photographer and in some case do not know who they are.Also, one of the publications has long been discontinued Thanks, Bob

Answer
Photographs are trickier to find out the status of than articles themselves. If the photos are notable, you might check with your local library to see if they have any of the same ones in their archives. Then you could simply sign an agreement with THEM to use THEIR copy of the same photo. I did this on one book and it really sped up the process. Rather than find the original photographer, the library's historical department had already jumped through that hoop.

In the case of a publication, you might be able to apply with the Library of Congress to find the proper person. Here's a link to the Copyright Office's FAQ page, which might help you out.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html#whoowns

If neither of these works, let me know and I'll come up with some other ideas. :)

Good luck, and congrats on the publication deal!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp