Writing Books/Getting started

I am always hearing that you should write the type of book that you love to read. I enjoy cozy mysteries, mostly culinary. But there are so many of these books already on the shelves and new authors in this genre seem to sprout up weekly. Should I abandon the notion of writing in the genre I most enjoy because it's so saturated? I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thank you for your time,

Rick Bunnell

Hi Rick,

There's nothing to loose, or anything wrong with writing in a genre that is popular and now, saturated.

It's in high demand.

The trick is, to KNOW that genre WELL, and know the authors, their styles, and most importantly, the plots of the books on the shelves.

You don't want to duplicate it or you won't sell.

Find a really good twist in your cozy, create a different cozy, more up to date and modern maybe, lots of twists and turns and sub plots.

Write what you want and edit to up date it, evolve it, and develop a new style= yours.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.