Writing Books/submissions

Question
QUESTION: Hello:
I spotted one agency that seems to handle the type of book I have written, but on the website it states it only wants exclusive submissions (query letters). I have already submitted queries to others. Should I not consider this agency because of this?

ANSWER: Hi, Demetrius!  Frankly, in your place, I'd query all the agents who allow simultaneous submissions FIRST. Once you've expended those, without success, then move on to those who want an exclusive. Although, it does seem rather odd that they'd want an exclusive at the query stage. Usually that's reserved for when they're looking at the full manuscript. Are you positive you read the guidelines correctly?

If so, then I'd hold off on them, but wouldn't discount them altogether. Just wait until you have the time to wait. Some agencies can take MONTHS, and that's not fair to you to take it out of the marketplace until they get around to looking at it.

Hope that helps!

Cathy

QUESTION: Cathy:
They did say send query first at top of page, at bottom of page it reads : "PLEASE NOTE:
We only consider material submitted to us exclusively and will respond within one month" So does this mean they want to consider the full manuscript when sent to them?

Answer
Okay, it does appear they want an exclusive query. But they're also giving a time limit of one month. That's not horrible. It just means that if you choose to query this agency, it'll have to be AFTER you get responses back on your current crop of queries. Then you can't submit to anyone else until a) after they respond, or b) 32 days after they receive the query (I'd use Delivery Confirmation at the post office so they don't have to sign for the query, but you know they received it.)

Hope that helps!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp