Writing Books/word count

I have a very basic question concerning word count.  How do you count words?  Do you use the number provided by word count on word which counts each word regardless of the number of letters or use the formula of 5 letters equals one word?

Just use the wordcount function on your word processor unless a publisher's guidelines tell you to do otherwise. In print magazines, empty spaces do count as words, but that's why they have general wordcount limits. For publishers of novels, and for agents, they care about the counts in the non-empty spaces. That is, your actual words.

Writing Books

I can answer almost any question on the mechanics that go into writing a full-length novel (80,000-100,000 words): characterization, setting, plot, world-building, dialogue, etc. I can answer some questions on the aspect of publishing, but I'm not one hundred percent familiar with it. I specialize in science fiction, fantasy crossovers (sometimes called science-fantasy) and am very familiar with the idea and technique of crossing genres, such as horror with science fiction, romance, and western.

I have been writing for almost ten years now as a hobby.

High School graduate with close to 45 hours of concurrent classes, most of them English and creative writing classes. I have taken literature classes as high as the 400 mark.