Writing Books/word count

Question
I have a very basic question concerning word count.  How do you count words?  Do you use the number provided by word count on word which counts each word regardless of the number of letters or use the formula of 5 letters equals one word?

Answer
Just use the wordcount function on your word processor unless a publisher's guidelines tell you to do otherwise. In print magazines, empty spaces do count as words, but that's why they have general wordcount limits. For publishers of novels, and for agents, they care about the counts in the non-empty spaces. That is, your actual words.

Writing Books

Tabitha